Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Classroom Observations

Here are just a few things I noticed that are different in the classes at UCL versus Clemson.

1. Pencil bags: Ok this is probably my favorite thing. Everyone here has a pencil bag! It's always out during class, just sitting out next to their notes. I'm pretty sure I haven't used a pencil bag since 5th grade. I like it though. I'm thinking of bringing this trend back to Clemson.

2. Cell phones: Not so much with my own but I have had a few of my professors' cell phones go off in class. I've even had one answer it during class. I find this a bit strange but I don't really mind it.

3. Breaks: Classes are almost always two hours long so we get a 5 to 10 minute break between the hours. I really like this because it gives me a break from trying to figure out what my professors are saying.

4. Attendance: Ok so basically there is no attendance policy. They do not take attendance ever and I don't think they really care if you come to class or not. It is a good idea to go to class anyway just because some classes are based entirely on the lecture (like my lit. class).

5. Books: My classes basically don't have any real books. Which is awesome. I probably saved hundreds of dollars right there. All I have are the syllabi (which I did actually have to buy but they aren't expensive) and one French grammar workbook. It was so cheap to get all of this! Here's another thing I would like to take back to Clemson with me.

Ok so these are the five main things that stuck out to me. There are a few little things that may be different too. I could also go on forever about their administration (it is so difficult!). So that's all for the classroom. Next: Food!!

Ah I forgot one! Graph paper! Everyone takes their notes on graph paper. I do too now because it's cheap and I feel like I stick out a little less haha.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting observations about the cultural differences in school setting. Ah, yes - pencil bags - everything old will be new again when you bring this trend back.

    (And I also thought the baby poster you mentioned in the last blog was a little creepy - at least to my American eyes.)

    ReplyDelete