Monday, February 2, 2009

Getting started...

Yay! I have housing! Ok well I've actually been living here for almost a week now but have just gotten around to blogging. I live with 8 other girls in a 3-story "communal apartment". We all have our own rooms though. It's pretty nice. The stairs in my new apartment are quite intense though. I walk up 4 flights of stairs, go down an outdoor hallway, into my apartment, and then down a spiral staircase just to get to my room. It's a work-out every time!
Louvain-la-Neuve is a really fun place. I have met a lot of great people, including some other international students! I have met quite a few people from the US, oddly enough all from the South. There are several people from Texas, Florida, and even North Carolina (App State! They even knew a lot of Clemson students). I also met a Canadian who has a Clemson hat and says we have the coolest logo. I thought that was pretty random...and awesome.
While LLN is fun during the week, it's quite dead on the weekends because everyone goes home. I feel like I'm going to travel a lot on the weekends anyway. So, speaking of traveling:
This weekend we took a day trip to Bruges. It was really beautiful! Here's a picture of the view from the tower in the center of town, Belfort:
This picture doesn't even do it justice. I highly recommend taking the trek up the steps to get there (300 ft!) if ever in the area. The people in Bruges are very nice too. Not that they aren't nice everywhere else in Belgium, but I feel Bruges handles the crazy amounts of tourists well. Bruges also has a wide array of museums, including the Frites (like french fries!) museum and the Chocolate museum (which we went to and it was really interesting). The Belgians definitely take their chocolate seriously and at the museum you get to learn the history of chocolate. It was actually really, really interesting and, as a bonus, they have samples.
Well that's it for my ramblings today. I will hopefully have more to talk about later! I think we are planning a ski trip soon and maybe even Dublin for St. Patty's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment