Monday, December 15, 2008

Mon Propre Dictionnaire d’Alphabétismes Culturels

Or My Own Dictionary of Cultural Literacies

twelve: a slang term meaning "whatever" or "yeah, right", used sarcastically; used by the students and alumni of Pendleton High School (and others maybe?)

SWU: pronounced as one word, shortening for Southern Wesleyan University; for some reason I don't know very many people who know what I'm talking about when I use this

"Let's sneak snacks": a phrase used by my cousins and me whenever we want to do something that our parents don't want us to do; the story behind it is too long to explain

The Doghouse: the old gym of the old elementary school where kids just play basketball now; mainly used as a geographic landmark when giving directions in Pendleton

The Pub: nickname for the Islander on the square of Pendleton; why? I don't know, it's just always referred to as that

No comments:

Post a Comment